It's a hard place to be, but I guess I earned it. Per the video uploaded by the city of Menlo Park, California for whatever reason my attention must have been somewhere other than the yellow light for 1 - 2 seconds. I only experienced 2 seconds of the yellow light so I was not motivated to speed up or slam on my brakes. I cruised across the intersection at 37mph (they say) in a 35mph zone. I don't remember being preoccupied with anything at the time other than driving that would have made me miss 2 seconds of yellow light. I did NOT expect the light to turn red that quickly, which did leave me with a citation in the mail. I still haven't seen the actual monetary damage, but my previously mentioned fee estimate is a good average. The city says it's for safety sake since they say red light running in Menlo Park has contributed to 20% of their injury accidents and 17% of fatalities. Though I and at least one other individual feel that the placement of cameras, timing of lights (should be longer yellow) are adding to the increased potential of rear-end vehicle accidents. I am curious to see what their data says though I don't trust the videos they uploaded on their site (Photonotice.com). The site states next to the video:
"Due to formatting constraints this video is a representation of the
original evidence and is not intended for court purposes.
The video you are viewing on this website is provided as a
courtesy and convenience to you. The video is in no way purported to be
a true and correct copy
of evidence that will be presented in court. The format
has been modified to provide a higher level of security and as a result
may display slightly
different than the original captured video. If you do
want to view the original video please contact the citing agency located
on your notice and follow
the instructions for viewing the evidence from their
location."
I strive to be and have improved my driving habits. I am even more mindful when driving with my children, but nonetheless always mindful.
Yes, there is a sign (In the middle of the busy commercial street on the curb) warning of "Photo Enforced" red lights, doing their part in "openly telling you", but my dissatisfaction is the methodology. I am not a person looking to take advantage of the law, nor am I prone to cause accidents, but yet there seem to continually be people running the lights by accident or because the time lapse between changes in so minimal. A setup maybe not, but I am sure they definitely don't mind the extra income. That's the ethical malpractice that money $ creates, along with some drugs and other vices, but that's another post. Off to go make a few extra hundred bucks to make up for the hit and be thankful that it wasn't an actual accident or otherwise. Be extra cautious when crossing these intersections in Menlo Park, California cause someone/something will be watching.
- Bayfront Expressway at Willow Road
- El Camino Real and Ravenswood Avenue
- El Camino Real and Valparaiso Avenue
This happened several months ago and if you run into this situation the next best thing is to at least make a court date, which can buy you some time if you need it, but it usually results in a slightly lowered fine. Mine along with many others there receives a $100 discount, worth the gas and time.
No comments:
Post a Comment